Role of the Behavorial Health Specialist:
- Assist primary health care providers in recognizing and treating mental disorders and psychosocial problems.
- Assist in preventing relapse or morbidity in conditions that tend to recur over time.
- Evaluate patient care plans with primary care team.
- Teach patients, families and staff about care, prevention and treatment enhancement techniques.
How to Partner with the Behavorial Health Specialist:
- Convene healthcare teams including PCP/staff and Behavioral Health Specialist to promote improved communication resulting in team-based, patient-centered care
- Advocate for improved awareness and coverage of mental health /behavioral disorders
- Share resources for patient tracking (i.e. hypertension and/or diabetes)
- Share information regarding community resources for patients with mental health/behavioral disorders