2013 Diabetes Council Webinars
2013 Advocacy Committee 3-Part Webinar Series: Working with Medicaid - An Overview for Public Health Staff
October 3, 3-4 pm ET
Part 1: Medicaid
Overview presented by Kathleen Nolan, National Association of Medicaid
This site has statistics about who is covered by Medicaid in each state and allows a comparison across states.
October 17, 3-4:15 pm ET
Policy Resources and
Perspectives on Diabetes Self-Management Education presented by Richard Cauchi, National Conference of State Legislatures
This document, prepared by Richard Cauchi, the Director of Health Programs at NCSL, has several diabetes-related resources:
- Two resources are reports of state budget surveys and the amount states spent to address diabetes in 2012 and 2013 (draft).
- A resource is from 2010 and outlines the provisions in health care reform related to diabetes.
- Additional presentation slides with material related to obesity and diabetes.
- Information from South Dakota about Medicaid DSME services.
- State-by-state listing of diabetes-related commercial insurance mandates
October 31, 3-4 pm ET
Two States will share their experiences of working with Medicaid to
improve the care of people with diabetes focused on efforts around diabetes
Handouts from MD:
Handouts from FL:
FL Partner Survey to develop joint recommendations on DSME standards in FL
Diabetes Council DSME Resource
Diabetes self-management education (DSME) is the cornerstone of care for people with diabetes. The DSME Resource provides
information on the definition of DSME, the National Standards for
Diabetes Self Management Education and Support, reimbursement, starting a
community-based DSME program, and more.