Social Determinants of Health Tools & Resources
1. Baum FE, Bégin M, Houweling TAJ, Taylor S. (2009). Changes not for the fainthearted: Reorienting health care systems toward health equity through action on the social determinants of health. American Journal of Public Health, 99(11): 1967-1974. Available at: http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/full/10.2105/AJPH.2008.154856
2. Bonnefoy J, Morgan A, Kelly M, Butt J, Bergman V, Tugwell P, Robinson V, Exworthy M, Mackenbach J, Popay J, Pope C, Narayan T, Myer L, Simpson S, Houwelling T, Jadue L. Constructing the evidence base on the social determinants of health: A Guide. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. 2007; 26-35. Available at: http://www.who.int/social_determinants/knowledge_networks/add_documents/mekn_final_guide_112007.pdf
3. Braveman P, Egerter S, Mockenhaupt R. Broadening the Focus: The Need to Address the Social Determinants of Health. AM J Prev Med. 2011; 40: S4-S18 Available at: http://www.rwjf.org/files/research/4945.pdf
4. Burris S. (2011). Law in a Social Determinants Strategy: A Public Health Law Research Perspective. Public Health Reports, 126(S3):22-27. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3150125/
5. Civil Society Report on Commission on Social Determinants of Health. Available at: http://www.who.int/social_determinants/resources/cs_rep_sum_18_7.pdf
6. Department of Health and Human Services. (2010). Healthy People 2020: An Opportunity to Address Social Determinants of Health in the U.S. Secretary’s Advisory Committee on National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives for 2020. Draft report, July 11, 2010. Available at: http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/about/advisory/SocietalDeterminantsHealth.pdf
7. Ellis J. Social Ties and Health. American Journal of Public Health. 2006; Vol.96, No.8: 1
8. Foege WH. (2010). Social Determinants of Health and Health-Care Solutions. Public Health Reports, 125(Supplement 4):8-10. Available at: http://www.publichealthreports.org/issueopen.cfm?articleID=2477
9. Hillemeier M, Lynch J, Harper S, Casper M. Data Set Directory of Social Determinants of Health at the Local Level. Atlanta: National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion; 2004. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/dhdsp/docs/data_set_directory.pdf
10. Marmot M. Social Determinants of Health Inequalities. The Lancet: International Centre for Health and Society, University College London. 2005; Vol.365: 1099-1104. Available at: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(05)71146-6/abstract
11. Metzler M. Social Determinants of Health Information Sheet: Division of Prevention Research and Analytic Methods Community-Based Participatory Action Research Activity. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
12. Metzler M. Social Determinants of Health: What, How, Why, and Now. Preventing Chronic Disease: Public Health Research, Practice, and Policy. 2007; Vol.4, No.4: 1-4.
13. Raphael D, Curry-Stevens A, Bryant T. Barriers to Addressing the Social Determinants of Health: Insights from the Canadian Experience. Available at: http://people.stfx.ca/x2008/x2008nwc/soc7.pdf
14. Raphael D. Social Determinants of Health: Present Status, Unanswered Questions, and Future Directions. International Journal of Health Services. 2006; Vol.36, No.4: 651-677. Available at: http://www.ohcc-ccso.ca/en/webfm_send/245
15. Representatives of Civil Society. Civil Society’s Report to the Commission on Social Determinants of Health. Social Medicine. 2007; Vol.2, No.4: 192-211.
16. Syme, SL. (2004). Social determinants of health: the community as empowered partner. Preventing Chronic Disease, 1(1):1-5. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC544525/pdf/PCD1A02.pdf
17. Thisted RA. (2003). Are there social determinants of health and disease? Perspectives in Biology and Medicine, 46(suppl 3):S65-S73. Available at: http://psychology.uchicago.edu/people/faculty/cacioppo/po1pubs/thisted03.pdf
18. Washington State Department of Health. Social and Economic Determinants of Health. The Health of Washington State. 2007; 1.3.1-1.3.7.
19. Wilcox L. Onions and Bubbles: Models of the Social Determinants of Health. Preventing Chronic Disease: Public Health Research, Practice, and Policy. 2007; Vol.4, No.4: 1-4.
20. Wilkinson R, Marmot M. Social Determinants of Health: The Solid Facts Second Edition. World Health Organization Europe. Denmark: World Health Organization; 2003. Available at: http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/98438/e81384.pdf
21. Wolbring G. (2011). People with Disabilities and Social Determinants of Health Discourses. Canadian Journal of Public Health, 102(4):317-319. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21913592
22. World Health Organization. Latest Publications on Commission on Social Determinants of Health. Available at: http://www.who.int/social_determinants/resources/latest_publications/en/index.html
23. World Health Organization, Social Determinants of Health webpage. (2010). Available at: http://www.who.int/social_determinants/en/