CAREER OPPORTUNITY: NACDD Communications Specialist (Decatur, Ga.)
Thursday, August 9, 2018
Communications Specialist (CS)
Reporting Structure and Role:
This position will directly report to the Director of Communications and will support requests from the Web Managing Editor and other leadership at the Association, as needed. The overall purpose of NACDD’s Communications Specialist is to support public relations activities to meet the Association’s strategic objectives.
50,000-Foot Job Description:
This position is for a candidate who enjoys using multiple skill sets, loves to innovate, is a good multi-tasker and project manager, has a strong dedication to customer service, and is passionate about communicating about health and health policy.
This position will help to advance state and territorial efforts to reduce the burden of chronic diseases by:
- developing content for the Association’s communications and marketing materials
- expanding and enhancing relationships with our subject matter experts, Members, and partners/funders to identify great stories and to help promote work
- contributing to chronic disease prevention and health promotion grant work through graphic design, media relations consultation, and writing/editing of some grant deliverable (such as reports, fact sheets, and success stories)
- conducting outreach to journalists and social media influencers to increase our visibility among chronic disease and health outlets and communities
Day-to-Day Job Activities
Digital Content Development and Marketing
- Supports the development and implementation of an email marketing strategy, including drafting, editing, and laying out the Association’s monthly newsletter, Impact Brief; preparing emails about Association announcements; and providing technical expertise and consultation to other Association staff and subject matter experts on other Association email activities.
- Assists the Web Managing Editor with website content management and content development, including: new webpage development, creating new feature content, assisting consultants with posting content on existing pages, and developing the NACDD blog.
- Assists with the creation, development, and distribution of multimedia products for publications, videos, podcasts, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Helps to document and maintain archives about the Association’s work through photography and videography.
- Supports effective internal communications, including helping to develop, maintain, and train Association stakeholders and vendors on the Association’s brand and style standards and best practices in public relations/communications.
- Supports the Association’s media outreach, including maintaining the media contact and coverage databases and conducting research on and outreach to journalists and social media influencers to promote the Association’s work.
- Manages the Association’s publications archives and collateral inventory and fulfills requests for materials.
- Serves as point of contact for Communications Department deliverables, managing traffic for requests and organizing correspondence and materials for review.
- Manages annual renewal of department registrations, licensing, and certifications.
- Provides a high level of customer service to NACDD staff, consultants, Members, and partners, including building relationships with Members by responding to Member, staff, partner, and consultant inquiries and requests.
- Performs other duties as assigned or as necessary.
The successful candidate will possess strong storytelling capabilities in the person’s writing for the web, social media, videography, and photography. Intermediate graphic design skills (InDesign, Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop) and previous experience with website content management systems is preferred.
A bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, English, or a related field, and five years of related work experience, OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Additional, Preferred Qualifications
- Exceptional writing, organizational, and critical thinking skills
- Experience with web content management systems and email marketing platforms
- Subject matter knowledge of public health
- Resilience, flexibility, and creativity
- High level of attention to details
- Strong proofreading capabilities using AP Style
- Passion and commitment to improving health and social justice
- Ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse skills, cultures, and backgrounds
- High level of diplomacy and ability to interact with staff at all level
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Mac OS preferred
- Must possess strong writing skills and mastery of AP Style
- Good knowledge and understanding of social media
- High level of individual initiative and creativity
- Prior Association or other membership-based organizational experience - preferred
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, work cooperatively with co-workers, building relationship and foster team spirit
This position is located in Decatur, GA. The successful candidate will enjoy a highly entrepreneurial, diverse and collegial office environment with high aspirations, frequent deadlines, open door policies and a collaborative team focused on maximizing efficiency and impact. NACDD offers a competitive compensation package, including medical coverage, 401(k), paid vacation and holidays, flexible work schedule, and professional development activities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Position is located in a comfortable, indoor environment. Sitting and standing for extended periods of time. Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components.
Classification: Regular, full-time position, exempt
Location: Atlanta, GA based position. NACDD will not pay relocation cost.
Provisional Period: 3 months
How to Apply: For more information about NACDD visit www.chronicdisease.org. Applicants must send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.