CAREER OPPORTUNITY: Diabetes Public Health Subject Matter Expert
Thursday, August 23, 2018
Diabetes Public Health Subject Matter Expert
The Diabetes Public Health Subject Matter Expert will provide technical assistance to State Health Departments (SDH) and partners to execute the NACDD/CDC State Engagement Model. The purpose of model is to enhance stakeholder engagement and catalyze commitment for collective action to prevent type 2 diabetes through the National Diabetes Prevention Program (National DPP) lifestyle change program. The Diabetes Public Health Subject Matter Expert will also work with SHDs to coordinate peer learning and leadership development activities that may include coordinating professional development webinars, virtual trainings, communities of practice and other venues that support member sharing and learning. The Senior Director of Programs in collaboration with the Senior Diabetes Lead Consultants will have direct oversight of all program activities and Consultant deliverables.
Scope of Work:
· In coordination with the CDC and NACDD Consultants, the SME is responsible for planning and implementing the NACDD/CDC State Engagement Model that features a state engagement meeting coordinated with SHD, CDC, and other national partners.
· Provide input on action planning process and facilitate action planning groups on National DPP lifestyle change program availability, coverage, and awareness.
· Provide post National DPP State Engagement Meeting support to assigned states for implementation of action plans and ongoing partner engagement strategies.
· In coordination with CDC and NACDD Consultants, the SME will be responsible for coordinating Communities of Practice for diabetes SHD staff. The purpose of the CoP is to enhance state to state sharing and learning and increase the capacity of achieve progress on diabetes management and type 2 prevention strategies/interventions.
· Provide strategic and technical support to Diabetes Council workgroups related to professional development and mentoring for the following:
o With SHD and CDC input, plan and execute webinars and trainings on diabetes management and type 2 prevention topics.
o Coordinate competitive travel scholarship opportunity for SHD diabetes staff.
o Coordinate a peer to peer learning opportunity for new and experienced SHD diabetes staff.
· Provide administrative and strategic support for the NACDD Council and/or project assigned, including organizing meetings and site visits.
· Provide generalized and specific technical assistance and information to SHD diabetes staff; maintain knowledge about the current science of and best practices for public health approaches to diabetes prevention and control.
· Maintain positive working relationships with SHD diabetes staff and CDC ensuring that SHD’s interests are represented as federal policies, strategies, and procedures are established.
· Develop and maintain national partnerships with external organizations that address public health aspects of diabetes management and prevention. Develop proposals for special projects as applicable.
· Assist in the evaluation of project activities.
· Prepare reports (written reports, oral presentations, or postings on websites) including but not limited to:
o Chief Executive Officer and/or Board reports (i.e. dashboard reports)
o Association materials and publications (NACDD annual report, e-bulletin, etc.)
o Peer reviewed journals
o Evaluation of conferences and other NACDD training events
o Assist with program progress reports to CDC or other program funders and stakeholders
· Assist with grant application submission and other proposals for funding. This includes but is not limited to writing, compiling of information, and/or coordination of activities.
· Performs other duties as assigned or as necessary to achieve program’s goals and objectives.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Public Health Administration or related field with minimum of five years of experience in the public health field. Master’s degree is preferred.
· Knowledge of and experience in using the following diabetes interventions:
o National Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) lifestyle change program
o Diabetes self-management education and support (DSMES)
· Knowledge of the Diabetes Prevention Recognition Program (DPRP) and how organizations can apply to become a National DPP CDC-recognized organization
· Knowledge of CDC National DPP lifestyle change program and DSMES and the evidence base that supports it
· General knowledge of business case, cost effectiveness and return on investment of the National DPP and DSMES
· Knowledge of designing and implementing disease prevention/health promotion benefits for employers.
· Knowledge of prediabetes and diabetes screening guidelines
· Knowledge of screening systems/tools to identify those at risk and use of recommended tests for diagnosing prediabetes and diabetes.
· Experience in working with health care providers to set up screening, testing and referral systems
· Knowledge of payment and delivery models for disease prevention and self management programs
· Ability to present information and provide technical assistance about the National DPP and DSMES to various audiences
· Strong facilitation skills
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work independently with a team
· Effective communication, and organizational skills; attention to detail is required
· Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from senior management, staff and consultants
· Strong project management, prioritization, and planning skills, with demonstrated success producing high-quality deliverables on time and within budget
· Intermediate to advanced experience with Microsoft Office Programs (i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) is required
Classification: Contractual/Consultant status
Contract Duration: Project contract is 1 year; project duration could be multiple years
Annual Compensation: TBD
Benefits: There are not benefits associated with this position
How to Apply: For more information about NACDD visit www.chronicdisease.org. Applicants must send a resume to the following email address: email@example.com.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.