CAREER OPPORTUNITY: State Policy Analyst
Tuesday, August 28, 2018
State Policy Analyst
The National Association of Chronic Disease Directors (NACDD) is actively seeking candidates for a State Policy Analyst position.
The National Association of Chronic Disease Directors is a Member-based not-for-profit Association that improves the health of the public by strengthening state-based leadership and expertise for chronic disease prevention and control in states and at the national level.
The purpose of the State Policy Analyst role is to provide policy education and communications support to NACDD Members. The policy support services will include working with staff across the State Health Departments (SHDs) to develop policy approaches and documents to advance prevention in the area of chronic disease prevention and control. This will also require maintaining an awareness of external policy developments that may affect chronic disease prevention and control programs at the local, state and federal level. This position initially reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
This position is best suited for an individual interested in working in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. Applicant must be highly motivated, technologically savvy, a quick learner and able to work independently.
ESSENTIAL WORK DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
· Monitor, track, and analyze relevant legislative and regulatory policies at the national, state and local level;
· Perform independent policy research and/or policy evaluation and other programmatic activities to further the Association’s goals. Summarize, write-up, and present policy analysis findings in a clear and concise manner for senior leadership and the Board of Directors;
· Function as the content expert on specific state-level policies documented in a NACDD portfolio, including but not limited to chronic disease prevention and control, behavioral health, population health and health equity;
· Analyze legislation and policies at the state and local levels that could impact Chronic Disease programs. Draft policy briefs and position papers on state policy issues that are relevant to SHDs;
· Serve as technical point-of-contact for Member requests for information on topics within NACDD program portfolio;
· Track changes in the healthcare or related environments that could impact Chronic Disease programs;
· Collect information and develop materials to inform the development of policy materials aimed at educating Members;
· Provide briefings to senior leadership on the status of key policy and partnership activities in support of assigned programs;
· Utilize various online tools and resources (Congressional Quarterly, Roll Call,etc.)
· Keep leadership informed of legislative developments that have an impact on existing and/or proposed programs, state and local health departments, national non-governmental organizations, etc.;
· Other duties assigned as needed.
· Bachelor's degree in public health, political science, public policy or related filed. Masters' degree in a related field preferred.
· At least five to seven years of work experience with a state legislature, with specific experience in the public health field.
· Excellent communication skills, including public speaking, is a must
· Prior Association or other not–for-profit experience, preferred
· Ability to understand and present complex concepts to various audiences
· Ability to speak and deliver presentations in front of large groups
· Willingness to execute day to day tasks and work independently with confidence and reliability
· Proactive, high energy, motivational, results-driven, and detail-oriented attitude
· Good entrepreneurial work ethic and a desire to “get the job done”
· Ability to prioritize and balance multiple priorities and follow through effectively
This position is located in Decatur, GA. The successful candidate will enjoy a highly entrepreneurial, diverse and collegial office environment with high aspirations, frequent deadlines, open door policies and a collaborative team focused on maximizing efficiency and impact. NACDD offers a competitive compensation package, including medical coverage, 401K retirement plan, paid vacation and holidays, and flexible work schedule.
Position is located in a comfortable, indoor environment. Sitting and standing for extended periods of time. Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components.
Decatur, GA based position. NACDD will not pay relocation cost.
How to Apply: For more information about NACDD visit www.chronicdisease.org. Applicants must send a resume to the following email address: email@example.com.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.