CAREER OPPORTUNITY: Public Health Writer/Publications Specialist
Tuesday, August 28, 2018
Public Health Writer/Publications Specialist
The Public Health Writer/Publications Specialist will serve as lead for researching, developing, and promoting success/case stories, emerging practice documents, newsletters, outcome reports and other documents to support project work and promote project outcomes. The consultant will work with the diabetes SMEs to develop priorities and content, identify state and partner success stories and emerging practices, and coordinate with contributing authors. The Public Health Writer/Publications Specialist will oversee the communications contracts that will provide copy editing, development of design templates, and final layout of reports. The Public Health Writer/Publications Specialist will assist with updating the community clinical resource website. The Senior Director of Programs in collaboration with the Senior Diabetes Lead Consultants will have direct oversight of all program activities and Consultant deliverables.
Scope of Work:
· Identify, research and interview various internal and external stakeholders to develop success/case stories, emerging practice documents, newsletters, outcome reports and other documents to demonstrate and promote project success and outcomes
· Collaborate with the diabetes team, state health department leaders, CDC and stakeholders to write and edit success stories/case studies, evaluation reports, e-newsletters, and a wide array of materials for various audiences
· Tasks such as original writing, substantive editing, proofing copy, and evaluating communications for accuracy, plain language best practices, consistent style, and grammar
· Build writing and language capability within project team through coaching
· Prepare publications schedule and coordinate with team to meet deadlines
· Coordinate communications to state members
· Prepare reports (written reports, oral presentations, or postings on websites) including but not limited to:
o Chief Executive Officer and/or Board reports (i.e. dashboard reports)
o Association materials and publications (NACDD annual report, e-bulletin, etc.)
o Peer reviewed journals
o Evaluation of conferences and other NACDD training events
o Assist with program progress reports to CDC or other program funders and stakeholders
· Assist with grant application submission and other proposals for funding. This includes but is not limited to writing, compiling of information, and/or coordination of activities.
· Performs other duties as assigned or as necessary to achieve program’s goals and objectives.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Bachelor's degree in public health, communications, journalism, or related field. Master's degree preferred.
· Superior writing and editing skills
· Subject matter expertise in public health
· Experience working within federal health agencies, such as Health and Human Services
· Experience in writing for publication in print, web and other platforms
· Excellent communication skills with proven ability to present, write, edit, and organize thoughts in a clear, concise and well-organized manner
· Ability to adapt writing style to fit different audiences and purposes
· Understanding of web technologies and applications, including social networking, social media tools, web content management systems and current communication trends
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively with a diverse array of people, including senior leaders
· Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize multiple deadlines.
· Knowledge of and experience in using the following diabetes interventions a plus
o National Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) lifestyle change program
o Diabetes self-management education and support (DSMES)
· Effective organizational skills; attention to detail is required
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office Programs (i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint) is required
Classification: Contractual/Consultant status
Contract Duration: Project contract is 1 year; project duration could be multiple years
Annual Compensation: TBD
Benefits: There are not benefits associated with this position
How to Apply:
For more information about NACDD visit www.chronicdisease.org. Applicants must send a resume to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.