NACDD Resources to Support States Response to COVID-19
Tuesday, March 24, 2020
Helping You to Support Your Communities
Last Updated: May 29, 2020
The National Association of Chronic Disease Directors (NACDD) has prepared several resources to assist State Health Department Chronic Disease Units and other public health professionals as they respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. We will continue to add to this list as new resources are available. If you have a suggested resource to include on this page, please email us.
“Chronic Disease Units are uniquely expert in their understanding of the chronic disease burden in their communities, and already many of them are making important contributions to the COVID-19 response. As COVID-19 continues to impact the United States in unprecedented ways, we applaud our State and Territorial Health Departments for their commitment and dedication to protecting public health and safety.” John W. Robitscher, MPH, CEO of NACDD. Read the rest of his statement applauding Chronic Disease Units for their work during COVID-19.
CDC Guidance for Chronic Disease Directors
- Distribute NACDD's fact sheet for general audiences, "Chronic Disease and COVID-19: What You Need to Know" (published April 2). En español.
- Review NACDD's slides on "COVID-19: Prediabetes and Diabetes" that helps state partners plan their value proposition for Medicaid coverage of the National Diabetes Prevention Program.
- Review a resource slide from RADM Dr. Betsy Thompson's General Member Webinar for to help address challenges people with Chronic Disease are facing in the new COVID-19 environment. A recording of the webinar is not available.
- Learn about CDC's guidance on factors to consider when planning to purchase respirators from another country.
- Read the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (March 31) covering the preliminary prevalence of severe COVID-19-associated disease among people with underlying health conditions.
- Read about CDC's National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion guidance to Chronic Disease Directors (March 26, 2020).
- Read information for CDC applicants and recipients of CDC funding.
- Watch a webinar for Chronic Disease Directors given by the At-Risk Task Force (PowerPoint slides).
- Read CDC’s current clinical guidance on managing high-risk populations during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Support Chronic Disease Populations
Leverage State Policy Tools
- Review State Data and Policy Actions to Address Coronavirus from the Kaiser Family Foundation to learn about cases and deaths; adopted social distancing measures; health policy actions to reduce barriers to COVID-19 testing and treatment; and additional state-level data related to COVID-19, including testing and provider capacity.
- Visit the State Fiscal Responses to Coronavirus (COVID-19) page at the National Conference of State Legislatures for information on state budget legislation to prepare and respond to the coronavirus through supplemental appropriations, rainy day fund transfers, and economic measures.
- View resources on State Action on Coronavirus (COVID-19) from the National Conference of State Legislatures, including updates on state legislation to support state action related to COVID-19.
- Identify State Quarantine and Isolation Statutes as gathered by the National Conference of State Legislatures. The page summarizes state law authority for quarantine and isolation within state borders.
- Review What Steps Have States Taken to Address Coronavirus? from the National Governors Association. This includes information on state actions around National Guard activations, state employee travel restrictions, and other key actions and resources that may inform other states and territories as they prepare for and respond to the coronavirus.
- Browse the COVID-19 Related State Actions on Telehealth collection from the Center for Connected Health Policy to find state actions to remove policy barriers to telehealth utilization to address the pandemic.
- Read the article How States are Responding to Coronavirus, in 7 Maps from Politico that provides maps that provides maps of state actions including paid leave and state-mandated school closures.
- Find policy options for states to address COVID-19 as proposed by the American Medical Association.
- Learn about Health Insurance Providers Respond to Coronavirus (COVID-19) from the AHIP, including how health insurance providers are taking action at the corporate and state level, including removing cost-sharing for testing, waiving prior authorization requirements, providing telehealth without cost sharing, and allowing early access to prescription refills.
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has issued a third set of frequently asked questions and answers (FAQs) to aid state Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) agencies in their response to the 2019-Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Promote and Protect Social Justice
Work Remotely Efficiently and Effectively
- View two short videos to help you work more efficiently and effectively at home:
Forge Strong Partnerships for an Effective Response
Find Out How NACDD Can Help You